The Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) had earlier mandated the telecommunication operators in the country to block all sim cards that are not registered with the National Identity Numbers (NIN). This means that failure of the subscribers to register with NIN will lead to the blocking or disconnection of the line.
NIN means National Identity Numbers. It is a unique 11 digit numbers given to every Nigerian after successful registration of the new Nigerian National Identity Card.
However, some Nigerian who have NIN are still unsure how to go about linking their phone number to their NIN.
Here are few steps to link your phone number with your NIN:
- To link your NIN, simply dial *785# using the phone you wish to link, enter your NIN and submit or dial *785 your NIN# from the phone number you wish to link, the number will be linked to your NIN automatically.
- You can also visit https://mtnonline.com/nin using your phone or computer. Complete the NIN linking form by entering your name, phone number, NIN and email address. Submit the form as soon as you are done. Wait for feedback from network.
- Dial *121# on the Airtel line you wish to link.
- Type 1 for “NIN Capture” and send.
- Enter your 11 digit NIN and send.
Wait for the message confirming your submission. If you get an error, just wait for some time and try again.
You have to send a short message before you can link your GLO number with NIN unlike MTN and AIRTEL.
Here is how to do it:
Send “Update NIN First Name Last Name” to 109. Note: you must type the “Update NIN”, and then replace the next NIN with your National Identification number as shown on your ID card the your first name and last name. E.g. Update NIN 2345778939 Stephen Ayo to 109.
For 9mobile network they are trying to get a code for it but for the main time you can visit the nearest office of your service provider to link your NIN or if you have a smart or android phone you can open https://nin.9mobile.com.ng on your device browser. Enter phone number, Enter NIN and submit.
Note: If you have registered for NIN and perhaps you have forgotten your National Identity Number. Simply dial *346#
For those who have already registered but has not link the NIN to their Sim the deadline is January 29th 2021. And those who have not registered their NIN the deadline to get it is February 29th 2021.
You can get your NIN at the nearest local government area located at your area which is issued by the NIMC (National Identity Management Commission).